When you are young, you probably wanted to speed up time so you can grow older, be mature, and do everything you want. As you age day by day, it starts to fill you. Things you did not even think of when you were young start to concern you. You have been gifted the freedom but, it comes with the responsibility of taking care of yourself.
However, little by little, life starts to stress you out, and day by day, it starts to take something away from you – your youth. Your body began showing signs of aging, and some things become a challenge, unlike before.
Aging says hi to you in multiple ways. One of them is through the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines on your face. The youthful glow starts to fade, and the reflection in the mirror becomes unrecognizable. All the sleepless nights and the stress took a toll on the beautiful face that once was there.
Thanks to the discovery of botulinum toxin or commonly known as botox. Though the elusive fountain of youth is out of reach, Botox paved the way to prolong your youthful look. Botox is one of the most sought after aesthetic procedures because of the effectivity, the minimal downtime and little to none (most of the time) side effects. Botox has provided a lot of satisfactory results to millions of people, men, and women worldwide.
Despite the fame and results-based statements from people with first-hand experience, having botox for the first time still stirs a lot of questions, fear, and confusion. It is always best to make an educated decision and know the basics of the famous Botox (Botulinum Toxin).
What is Botox (Botulinum Toxin)?
Botulinum toxin A is a neurotoxin produced by a specific bacteria called clostridium botulinum. Botulinum toxin has different types, but only types A and B are used for medical and aesthetic purposes. When injected, botulinum toxin paralyzes facial muscles to avoid the recurrence of the folds when you pose facial expressions.
Botulinum toxin has a lot of therapeutic uses. However, the use and dosage should be regulated by a licensed professional because as helpful as it is, botulinum toxin is also the most poisonous substance known. Some of the known brand names that produce botulinum toxin for commercial use are Botox and Dysport.
What areas of the face can Botox be used?
Different facial muscles benefit from the use of botulinum toxin. Commonly treated areas are the ones that are in the expression lines. Some of those areas are the lines between the eyes or widely known as 11 lines, the horizontal forehead lines, bunny lines, and crows feet. It can also be used to treat excessive sweating of underarms. It is injected in the muscle using a very fine needle, and an anesthetic cream is applied in the targeted area before the injection, so it is almost pain-free.
How do you prepare for the Botulinum toxin procedure?
Like any other procedure, there are things that you need to do and things that you need to avoid before your botox treatment. You must keep these things in mind to ensure that everything will go smoothly, and your desired results will be achieved.
- Avoid alcohol, blood-thinning drugs, and anti-inflammatory – botulinum toxin is injected under the skin, and there is a chance that a blood vessel will get nicked in the process. If you are taking alcohol, or blood-thinning drugs like aspirin and ibuprofen, it could prevent clotting and could result in bruises. It is best to stop the intake of the said medication two weeks before the procedure. You can also book a consultation two weeks before your desired schedule for further advice and assessment.
- Avoid anti-oxidants foods – avoid the intake of anti-oxidants such as fish oil, ginger, green tea, etc. a week before the procedure. Most anti-oxidants increases the breakability of blood vessels and could also prevent clotting.
- No makeup – Avoid putting makeup a few days after the procedure to avoid infection or spreading the toxin in areas where it should not be, and this will also allow your skin to breathe. You will be able to see the results of the procedure more accurately.
- Take a breather – After the injection, you need to relax and avoid exercise. Please do not wash your hair and do not touch the injected area. Botulinum toxins need a few days to settle and mess with it after the shot might cause the toxin to spread in other areas. It can also decrease the effect which you will want to avoid.
- Avoid exposure to sunlight and frigid temperatures – sunlight is one of the top reasons for wrinkles. Let your skin heal appropriately by limiting your exposure. It is also advisable to put sunscreen on your face before going out.
- Babies first – Botulinum toxin should not be used by pregnant or lactating mothers. Due to its nature, experts still do not recommend it for pregnant and lactating moms even under a controlled environment. Botox will wait for you, momma!
What are the side effects of Botulinum toxin?
If appropriately applied, botulinum toxin has minimal to no side effect. However, it is still essential to know what are these side effects to better help in your decision;
- Headache and dizziness – If you had an injection in your 11 lines, it is possible that you will feel a bit of dizziness and headache, and this will pass after a few minutes.
- Weakness and paralysis – the surrounding muscle might feel weakened or paralyzed after the procedure. It is only temporary and will eventually subside.
- Swelling and bruising – though it does not happen commonly, does not mean it will not happen. It is possible, but like many others, it is temporary. There are chances of bruising, especially if you touched the injected area.
How long does Botox last?
Results become noticeable immediately, but botulinum toxin can take a few days to settle ultimately. The effect lasts for up to 3 to 6 months before the fine line starts to form again. You can always consult your cosmetic surgeon about getting a touch-up or if the other parts of your face will also need Botox.
Botulinum toxin has many uses and advantages if used in small doses and administered by a professional. Many cosmetic surgeons offer Botox, and if you are from Salt Lake City, UT, there is no need to search the words “botox near me” because you have Dr. Hillary Taggart in your area to provide you with the best aesthetic procedure.
Dr, Hillary has been one of the tourist destinations in the Salt Lake City area because of the outstanding results that she provides to her clients. She will give back your youthful years and still make it look natural. If you want to experience the fantastic works or Dr. Hillary, book your appointment now.